The motto is : the bigger, the better.
Rats are very intelligent animals. They need lots of exercise and stimulation and love to explore, so the bigger the cage the better. Buy the biggest cage you can afford for your rats. The minimum dimensions for the total cage are 80 x 50 x 68 cm. Keep in mind that rats are climbers, so the cage has to be high rather than long.
There are many types of cages available on the market but it is very important to choose a cage that was especially designed for rats and not for other small animals like hamsters, guinea pigs,…
The ideal rat cage has at least 1 level and horizontal wire on 2 sides. The horizontal wire distance needs to be at least 11 mm. This will provide lots of interest and give your rats the opportunity to climb. Change the accessories regularly to keep their brain stimulated and to avoid boredom. You can never give them too many accessories! Rather a full cage than a relatively empty one. It keeps your rats moving around and exploring, which is very good for mental stimulation and body condition.
Rats are social animals, it is better to keep them in pairs or group rather than alone.
Savic has suitable rat cages in their assortment:
- Ruffy 2 (80 x 50 x 38 cm): ideal cage for keeping your rats in quarantine when they are sick and have to be separated from the group for a little while.
- Freddy 2 (80 x 50 x 68 cm): starter cage for rats with 1 level
- Freddy 2 max (80 x 50 x 80 cm): multi-level rat cage
- Freddy 3 (100 x 50 x 80 cm): extra wide multi-level rat cage
- Suite Royale (95 x 63 x 159 cm) the most preferred cage of rat breeders
Discover our complete assortment of rat accessories.